“Our challenges now will be their strengths in the future” shares Steph Schmidt on navigating her motherhood journey.
Steph is a psychologist working in farmer mental health and grassroots and community based strategies. She is also a mother to 3 boys and alongside her husband runs a sheep and cropping farm in South Australia.
Steph openly admits that she has found motherhood to be the hardest thing she has ever done, and has navigated raising 3 sparkler boys on a busy farm whilst battling postnatal depression.
In this episode we cover:
- Navigating the ups and downs of motherhood and embracing the different seasons that come with it
- The challenges and joys Steph has experienced balancing farmwork, solo parenting and prioritising what is most important in life
- Embracing authenticity while sharing personal experiences and respecting the privacy of others
- What Steph knows about motherhood now that she wishes she knew back at the beginning of her journey
- Steph’s experience with postnatal depression
Steph is incredibly open and honest about the challenges and joys that she has faced on her motherhood journey so far and I know that you will take so much of her wisdom with you.
Connect with Steph’s Story: https://www.gidgetfoundation.org.au/stories/stephanie-schmidts-story
Be kind to yourself as you listen to this. If this, or any, ME + MOTHERHOOD podcast episode ‘triggers you’ or raise issues for you, I urge you to reach out and speak to a professional on any one of these related support lines:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- Blue Knot Helpline: 1300 657 380
- PANDA National Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Helpline: 1300 726 306